Thursday, December 20, 2007

12:21am and Still Awake

Thinking. Wondering. Pondering. And answering emails that have been stacked up in my Inbox all week. It's been a crazy busy week. No calamities, just busy. I'm not stressed out, all is in order on my weekly "To Do List;" I guess I'm just awake. Plus, I've been tackling Murray's "The Indwelling Spirit" book. The jury is still out on this one...

Speaking of books, I've been reading a lot lately. Honestly, nothing good. I try to read books that make me think, or church/leader books that are popular, or just some classic theology book. I don't know about you, but I don't read to "receive," I read to analyze and compare. I would like to think that everyone reads with this goal in mind, but I don't think they do. Based on my observation of other's response to the books I've been reading, I think that most read and accept, rather than challenge. And I don't think they take this position out of stupidity, but rather out of ignorance. People voluntarily "limit" themselves in thought, practice, and exposure; and therefore, when someone does something even SLIGHTLY different it is as though a revolution has taken place. I'm not sure why they do this, nor do I think they know that they do this; but it is still voluntary nevertheless. For while they may not conscientiously "limit" themselves, they don't "push" themselves, and I think the desire to challenge is the natural human response. I also think this "limiting mentality" has become the world's practice. We only do what we are comfortable doing, nothing more. It's sad, because we are missing out on some really great opportunities, breakthroughs, and experiences as a result. So many are just wasting their God-given potential...

Incidentally, there is one book that ALWAYS leaves me challenged, and that is the Bible. I mean it with all honesty and sincerity: it humbles me and calls me out. I believe that God has created us for an incredible purpose, to experience life beyond our self-imposed boundaries, and for some reason this scares the majority of us. Why?

No comments: